For the times I want to remember and share with others.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

If You're Happy and You Know it....

Clap your hands, stomp your feet, shout AMEN! 

 Anyone?

Is anyone happy?

I have been thinking about happiness.  It seems like very few people express being happy.  People don't look or act happy that's for sure.  And if I ask, "How are you?"  I usually get, "Tired." or "Fine." Which is often the response I give as well.

My 4 year old is PERPETUALLY happy.  She finds wonder and joy in simple daily things and events that I take for granted.  I love it when she points these things out in wonderment, "Mom, look at my trees, they're so tall and reach UP to the sky!"  Or when driving down town she sees the street lights and traffic signals she'll report, "Look at all the beautiful lights, it's amazing!"  My older daughter had a school concert last week and it was all we could do to keep my youngest from dancing in the aisles!  The people sitting near us were smiling as they watched her enjoyment of the music.  Her happiness led others to be happy as well.  If only for that moment.

As I thought more about being happy I was drawn to this quiz on WebMD and it had some interested points that I hadn't thought of before.  Sadly, I only scored a 67% on the test, so am I failing happiness?  Nope- that's still a D (depending on the grading scale)!

So, the quiz told me some of this information:

Suppression of sadness is one of the keys to long-term happiness.
Your Answer: False
Having a positive outlook doesn't mean you never allow yourself to feel sadness. "Happiness is not the absence of sadness," says David Spiegel, MD,
I love the quote:  Happiness is not the absence of sadness.  I feel like that is probably true of other things as well, I can be happy and feel tired or I can be happy and feel overwhelmed. 
Which is better to improve one's own sense of happiness?
Your Answer: Gratitude
Psychologists studying the effects of positive emotions say gratitude can improve our sense of happiness if we turn it into a conscious and regular practice.
In other words being thankful is better and will make us happier then focusing on what we don't have, or what we wish we had (aka- complaining or "venting").
I love it!  We should show gratitude and be thankful and remember that other feelings can occur at the same time along with happiness.  
So my four year old, has it figured out!  And so does the Bible...
1 Corinthians 15:57-But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
By having faith and trust in God, we are victorious! 

Maybe next time someone asks, "How are you?"  I will answer, "Victorious and happy!"

Father God- you are all-knowing and the God of peace and grace.  Thank you today for happiness found in unexpected places and that we have victory through Your Son.  In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment